Work is complete!
The Welcome Building was opened by HRH The Duchess of Cornwall on 23rd June, watched by an audience of people who had donated to the project.
The Welcome Building and new car park:
- Provides a better visitor entry into the arboretum, fast tracking members and giving day visitors an improved experience.
- Replaces the pay in your car system that often resulted in large queues back onto the main road.
- Provides more disabled parking and easy access to our free mobility scooters.
- Has removed cars from the Grade I registered landscape. This is being restored to a species rich grassland like other areas of the heritage landscape.
- Allows visitors the chance to find out about trees and the arboretum in the Christopher Mitchell Information Centre.
But it’s not just about infrastructure....
We’re also undertaking a programme of activities to try and engage ‘young and old’ people in danger of exclusion from society as part of the Westonbirt Project. This includes working with groups like the Bristol Drugs Project, the Girl Guides and the Alzheimer’s Society both at the arboretum and off-site.